- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-5
- Preparation Time:
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- White of 1 egg, beaten
- 1 T Italian herb seasoning
- 1 t seasoned salt
- 2 T butter
- 2 medium Vidalia onions(or other sweet onion), sliced
- 2 t sugar
- 5 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in pan and saute onions over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in sugar and beef broth; add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Place bread in bottom of soup cups; pour soup over bread; or pour soup into bowls and top with croutons.
- *My version includes topping with a slice of swiss cheese and broiling! KK
- Nutritional analysis per serving, 8 servings, (without cheese): 132 calories, 4 g fat, 16 g carbs, 10 g protien, 8 mg cholesterol, 1118 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 26% calories from fat.
NotesMy favorite comfort food on a chilly day. This version, posted in the local paper by Mary Green, North Richland Hills, TX, is fairly healthy, with the whole wheat croutons and all. The last time I made it, I had the deli slice circles of baby swiss that fit perfectly over my soup bowls. I layered soup, croutons, then the cheese on top..put under the broiler until melted, browned and bubbly.
Nutritional analysis per serving, 8 servings, (without cheese): 132 calories, 4 g fat, 16 g carbs, 10 g protien, 8 mg cholesterol, 1118 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 26% calories from fat.
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Brown Sugar Butterfinger Drop Cookies
Ricotta Cheese Tart with Fried Morel Mushrooms
Quinoa, Spinach And Walnut Stir FrySee More