- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces) cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, large
- 2 large egg yolks
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, combine the 1/2 cup of water with the whole milk, butter, condensed milk and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the flour all at once; stir with a wooden spoon until a smooth mass forms. Return the saucepan to the heat and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan and begins to dry out, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl and beat at medium speed until cooled slightly, about 1 minute. At low speed, beat in the whole eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated between additions. Beat in 1 of the egg yolks until incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip.
- Pipe thirty 1 1/2-inch mounds onto the baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Lightly brush each mound with the egg wash and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350° and bake the puffs for 20 minutes longer, until golden and crisp.
NotesThis recipe was given to me by a friend who has since moved to France. We shared the same passion for cooking and baking and this is my ode to her brilliant use of the unordinary.
Not sure of yield - depends how large or small you make them.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking DC 2013
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More