- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 pkg extra form tofu, rinsed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or Braggs Aminos
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 TBSP tobasco
- 2 small French baguettes or rolls
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- A few sprigs each of cilantro and mint
- One diced jalapeño (optional)
- For the pickled onions:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Add red onion and stir.
- Cover and let marinate for at least a half hour.
- For tofu marinade:
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, garlic, dried basil, pepper and lime juice.
- Cut tofu into four slices, about 1/2 an inch thick.
- Place tofu in the bowl with the marinade and let set for about 15 minutes.
- After tofu has marinated, grill on grill pan or in sauté pan for about 4-5 minutes on each side (use olive oil or canola spray to keep tofu from sticking).
- Cut baguette or roll in half and brush the inside with olive oil.
- Place oiled-side down on grill pan for a few minutes to brown.
- To assemble sandwich:
- Place a thin layer of cucumbers on the bottom of the roll.
- Add the tofu (2 pieces per sandwich).
- On top of the tofu, add the cilantro, julienned carrots, pickled onions and basil.
- Spread the mayo mixture on the top part of the roll.
- Serve with additional lime slices and sliced jalapeños.
NotesFood trucks have made the Banh Mi pretty popular. I'm not a big food truck gal, but I do like recreating 'trendy-foods,' especially if I can make a vegan substitute. This is a really tasty sandwich. It does involve a few steps, but it's totally worth it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More