- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 ounce rice noodles, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-tablespoon tree ear or cloud ear mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes, thoroughly rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 3 ounces crabmeat, cleaned
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 sheets round banh trangs (dried rice wrappers available at Vietnamese or specialty markets)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups peanut oil
- In a bowl combine the noodles, ground pork, onion, mushrooms, garlic, shallots, crabmeat, and black pepper, and set aside.
- Cut the round wrappers into quarters and place on a flat surface. With a pastry brush, paint the beaten egg over the entire surface of each of the pieces. Before filling, wait for the egg mixture to take effect, softening the wrappers, this takes about 2 minutes.
- When the wrapper is soft and transparent, place 1 teaspoon of the filling near the curved side, in the shape of a triangle. Fold the sides over to enclose the filling and continue to roll all the way up until all the wrappers are filled.
- In a large frying pan add oil, and place the spring rolls into the cold oil. Slowly heat, frying for 20 to 30 minutes. Turn them occasionally until they are golden on all sides