VINEGRET (RUSSIAN PINK POTATO SALAD)
- 2 medium all-purpose potatoes, cooked in their skins
- 1 large beet, cooked in its skin (or used canned beets)
- 2 pickles, preferably Claussen Kosher Pickles
- 1 tart apple
- 2 medium carrots, scraped and cooked
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white beans, soaked for 4 hours in cold water to cover, and cooked in the same water according to package directions (or use canned)
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Salt to taste
Peel the potatoes, beets, pickles, and apples, and cut them and the carrots into a 1/4-inch dice. Combine the diced ingredients with the onions and beans and mix carefully.
Mix all the dressing ingredients together, pour over the vegetables, and toss gently, then add salt to taste.
Serve in a decorative bowl at room temperature, either as an hors d’oueuvre or as a side dish for entrees.