- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 Tblsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne or other ground chiles
- 1 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped sweet potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tblsp sugar
- chopped scallions
- chopped roasted peanuts
- Sauté onion in oil until it is transluscent.
- Stir in cayenne and ginger. Add carrots and
- sauté a couple minutes more. Mix in potatoes
- and stock, bring to a boil, simmer 15 minutes
- (until the vegetables are tender). Puree the
- vegetables with tomato juice (and some of the
- cooking liquid if necessary) in a blender or
- food processor. Return the puree to the pot.
- Stir in the peanut butter until smooth. Check
- sweetness and add sugar if necessary. Reheat
- gently, using a heat difuser if necessary to
- prevent scorching. Add more water, stock, or
- tomato juice to make a thinner soup if
- desired. Serve topped with plenty of chopped
- scallions and chopped roasted peanuts.
- Serves 6-8
NotesWe love this soup.
from "Sundays at the Moosewood Restaurant"