- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon lukewarm (105-115 F) water
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the water. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour and salt. With the machine running, scrape the yeast mixture through the feed tube just until the dough forms a ball. Knead the dough by pulsing 30 times; the dough will still be sticky.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray; place the dough in the bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let the dough rise until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Punch down the dough. Flour your hands and form the dough into a ball. Place it on the baking sheet and press it into a 10" circle. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. When the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 425 F. Without piercing the dough, make dimples all over it with your fingertips, cover with the topping. Bake on the center oven rack until browned, 15 - 20 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
NotesI make this in the bread machine, it's alot easier, although it takes about an hour and then I spread out onto a pan and let it rise for 30 minutes. Toppings can be anything from carmelized onions, any type of cheeses, roasted red peppers, olives, etc.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
MetroCooking DC 2013
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More