- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2 servings
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 4 slices process American cheese (2/3 ounce each)
- 2 thin slices deli turkey (1/2 ounce each)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 thin slices deli ham (1/2 ounce each)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- In a shallow bowl, combine the egg, milk, sugar and orange peel. Dip bread into egg mixture. Place on a preheated waffle iron; sprinkle each slice of bread with pecans. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Place an American cheese slice on two bread slices; layer with turkey, Swiss cheese, ham and remaining American cheese. Top with remaining bread; butter outsides of sandwiches.
- Toast sandwiches in a skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve with jam.
NotesMy fiance and I enjoy Monte Cristos so much that I created this non-fried version to cut down on fat. The addition of orange peel and pecans makes these beautiful sandwiches absolutely delicious!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Peppermint Crumb Squares
Chicken with Green Olives
Festive Candied YamsSee More