- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 240g bread (strong) flour
- 40g plain flour
- 5g dry yeast
- 30g caster sugar
- 3g salt
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk (lightly beaten)
- 100ml milk (room temperature)
- 30g unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- For the custard:
- 500ml milk
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 5 egg yolks
- 90g caster sugar
- 20g plain flour
- 25g corn flour
- 40g unsalted butter
- White sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- To make the dough, place both flours and the yeast in a bowl and lightly mix. Add the rest of the ingredients and knead for about 10-15 minutes until the dough gets smooth and shiny (you can use the kitchenaid of course). Shape into a ball and cover the bowl, rest in a warm draught-free place for about an hour and a half (or until it doubles in size).
- To make the custard, place the milk and vanilla seeds (as well as the pod) in a pan and bring to the boil, then remove from the heat. Whisk the egg yolks with sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Sift both flours into the egg mixture and mix well. Sieve the hot milk into the mixture, whisking constantly, return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring all the time, until the custard thickens. Remove from the heat and blend the butter in, then cool.
- When the dough is ready, let the air out gently and divide it into small evenly sized balls. Cover them and rest in a warm place for about half an hour.
- Start heating the oil to about 160-170 C coat the dough with sesame seeds and deep fry until golden. When they are cool enough to handle, pipe in the custard cream (or if you prefer jam, perhaps you should omit the sesame seeds). If you would rather have them without filling, coat them with (cinnamon) sugar while still hot.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More