- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 3 or 4 apples, unpeeled, cut from the core, and chopped into bite size pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cut up 3 or 4 apples, until you get about 2-1/2 or 3 cups.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples.
- The acid in the lemon juice prevents the apples from turning brown.
- The raisins will taste best if you plump them first.
- Do this by measuring them into a cereal bowl and adding enough warm tap water to cover them completely.
- Allow them to sit for a few minutes, absorbing the water, and softening up.
- Drain them very well when you need them. I actually squeeze them to make sure they are very dry.
- Chop up the celery, it should take about 2 ribs or so.
- Add walnuts.
- Mix everything together in a medium sized bowl with the Miracle Whip and sugar, coating all of the ingredients.
- It is now ready to serve, or you can chill it overnight.
NotesI like to use yellow & red apples to add color & taste. The leaves on the ribs of celery are also good. My momma always made this for the Forth of July And at Christmas, she'd add a touch of cinnamon.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Short & SweetSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More