- Cooking Time: 45 minutes + cooling
- Servings: 3 dozen
- Preparation Time: 1-1/4 hours
BackstoryI had this Greek pastry for the first time in a restaurant and I was not overly thrilled with it. So when I ran across this recipe and saw how easy is was to make I decided to try it. I liked my version much better, which will no doubt cause an uproar. So to anyone who has tried this dessert I want you to make this one and let me know if you like it, maybe it tastes nothing like it is suppose to.
- 4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Grease a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish with some of the melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough sheets (keep dough covered with plastic wrap while assembling).
- Place one sheet of phyllo in baking dish; brush with butter. Top with a second sheet; brush with butter. Fold short ends under to fit dish. Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup nut mixture. Repeat 18 times, layering two sheets, brushing with butter and sprinkling with nut mixture. Top with remaining dough; brush with butter. Cut into 2-in. diamonds with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 350 F. for 45-55 minutes in until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 3 dozen.
- Check out more recipes at: www.havefunbaking.com
- And also at: www.lovetobakeandcook.blogspot.com
The Breakfast Aisle
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory LifeSee More
Frank's Redhot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Applesauce Oaties – Great, Great Grandma Hannon
Pumpkin CheesecakeSee More