- Cooking Time: 45 minutes + cooling
- Servings: 3 dozen
- Preparation Time: 1-1/4 hours
- 4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Grease a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish with some of the melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough sheets (keep dough covered with plastic wrap while assembling).
- Place one sheet of phyllo in baking dish; brush with butter. Top with a second sheet; brush with butter. Fold short ends under to fit dish. Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup nut mixture. Repeat 18 times, layering two sheets, brushing with butter and sprinkling with nut mixture. Top with remaining dough; brush with butter. Cut into 2-in. diamonds with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 350 F. for 45-55 minutes in until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 3 dozen.
- Check out more recipes at: www.havefunbaking.com
- And also at: www.lovetobakeandcook.blogspot.com
NotesI had this Greek pastry for the first time in a restaurant and I was not overly thrilled with it. So when I ran across this recipe and saw how easy is was to make I decided to try it. I liked my version much better, which will no doubt cause an uproar. So to anyone who has tried this dessert I want you to make this one and let me know if you like it, maybe it tastes nothing like it is suppose to.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Thomas' English Muffin Clone
Black Bean SoupSee More