- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 to 16
- Preparation Time:
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) chilled unsalted butter
- 1½ lbs. (three 8-oz. bars) chilled cream cheese, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups sifted confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
- 1½ cups chopped California walnuts
- To make the frosting, you will need an electric mixer, preferably a freestanding one, although a powerful hand-held mixer will work.
- Cut the butter into 2-inch pieces and put in a large bowl of the mixer.
- Start slowly, gradually increasing the speed, and beat the chilled butter on medium speed until it becomes malleable, yet still cool, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Cut the cream cheese into 2-inch pieces also, add to the butter, and continue to mix until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Add the vanilla, then slowly add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until blended.
- Increase speed slightly and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes, until the frosting becomes light and fluffy. By hand, fold in the walnuts.
- To assemble the cake, place one of the layers, bottom side up, on a plate.
- Spread with about 2/3 cup of frosting. Top with a second layer, bottom side down, and spread with an equal amount of frosting.
- Set the third layer, top side up, over the others. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Store the frosted cake at a cool but not refrigerated area until serving.
- Makes one 9-inch three layer cake, serving 12 – 16
NotesSweet, spicy and very moist. And the flavor becomes even better if the cake is baked and frosted the day before serving. The batter is easily mixed by hand, but you will need an electric mixer for the frosting.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Scott Peacock of Watershed Restaurant in Decatur, GA
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More