- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups firmly packed diced whole grain bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, diced tart apple
- 3 bunches scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon each: dried thyme, savory
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the diced bread on a baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until dry and lightly browned.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the red onion and saute over medium heat until golden. Add the apple and saute for another 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread cubes with the onion and apple mixture. Add all the remaining ingredients except the apple juice and toss together. Sprinkle in the apple juice slowly, stirring at the same time to moisten the ingredients evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to an oiled shallow 1 1/2-quart baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned and still slightly moist. Stir once during the baking time. Transfer to a covered serving container.
NotesI forgot where I got this... but it's good! Vegetarians won't want to eat stuffing that has been cooked in the bird. Here's a tasty stuffing that bakes separately.
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
A Happy Life Cookbook : Recipes for a Healthy LifeSee More
Blueberry Banana Blast
Cincinnati Bengals Bacon & Mac Grilled Cheese
AFRICAN CHICKEN STEWSee More