- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI was going through my organizer of great recipes,and decided to try this beer cake that was very moist and delicious, and not to sweet!
- For one cake, two 9-inch layers, you will need: 2/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 squares, (2 oz.)unsweetened chocolate, melted 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup beer
- Filling and Frosting:
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, melted 2 Tbsp.butter
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until light. Blend in the chocolate.
- Sift flour, soda and salt together. Add to creamed mixture along with the buttermilk. Blend until smooth. Stir in the beer and beat until light.
- Butter and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans. Turn batter into pans and smooth the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done. Remove from pans. Cool on wire racks.
- While cakes bake prepare filling and frosting. Bring 1/2 cup of the cream and sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Boil 2 minutes.
- Add the chocolate and simmer for 5 minutes. Beat in the butter. Beat in the remaining cream until smooth.
- Spread half the filling mixture on each of the cake rounds as you stack them. Sides of the cake may be left unfrosted, if desired. Cut into wedges to serves.