- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For one cake, two 9-inch layers, you will need: 2/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 squares, (2 oz.)unsweetened chocolate, melted 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup beer
- Filling and Frosting:
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, melted 2 Tbsp.butter
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until light. Blend in the chocolate.
- Sift flour, soda and salt together. Add to creamed mixture along with the buttermilk. Blend until smooth. Stir in the beer and beat until light.
- Butter and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans. Turn batter into pans and smooth the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done. Remove from pans. Cool on wire racks.
- While cakes bake prepare filling and frosting. Bring 1/2 cup of the cream and sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Boil 2 minutes.
- Add the chocolate and simmer for 5 minutes. Beat in the butter. Beat in the remaining cream until smooth.
- Spread half the filling mixture on each of the cake rounds as you stack them. Sides of the cake may be left unfrosted, if desired. Cut into wedges to serves.
NotesI was going through my organizer of great recipes,and decided to try this beer cake that was very moist and delicious, and not to sweet!