- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- half of 15-ounce package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 5 cups sliced peeled granny smith apple (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TB all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Fold edges under; flute.
- Place pie plate in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Lightly spoon 1/3 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Combine 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place the streusel in refrigerator.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Add sliced apple, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; cook 10 minutes or until the apple is tender, stirring mixture occasionally.
- Spoon the apple mixture into prepared crust.
- Combine remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, salt, and eggs, stirring with a whisk.
- Stir in buttermilk and vanilla.
- Pour over apple mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees (do not remove pie from oven); sprinkle streusel over pie.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 1 hour before serving.
- The key to both a flaky pie crust and crisp streusel topping is to keep them as cold as possible before putting them into the oven.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Breads and Pastry 101
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More