- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- half of 15-ounce package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 5 cups sliced peeled granny smith apple (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TB all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Fold edges under; flute.
- Place pie plate in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Lightly spoon 1/3 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Combine 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place the streusel in refrigerator.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Add sliced apple, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; cook 10 minutes or until the apple is tender, stirring mixture occasionally.
- Spoon the apple mixture into prepared crust.
- Combine remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, salt, and eggs, stirring with a whisk.
- Stir in buttermilk and vanilla.
- Pour over apple mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees (do not remove pie from oven); sprinkle streusel over pie.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 1 hour before serving.
- The key to both a flaky pie crust and crisp streusel topping is to keep them as cold as possible before putting them into the oven.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More