Warm Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad
Why I Love This Recipe
Finally! A salad I can bare to eat during the winter. The quinoa packs a protein punch and the butternut makes this salad hearty and warming.
Ingredients You'll Need
3/4 C. Dried Cranberries
3/4 C. Baby Spinach Leaves
1 T. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 T. Raw Honey
1 T. Olive Oil
Large Pinch of Salt
1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into a medium dice
1 T. Olive Oil
1/2 t. Coarse Salt
1/2 large Sweet Onion, thinly sliced
1/2 T. Olive Oil
4 C. Red Quinoa, cooked and kept warm
1 1/2 C. Wheat Berries, cooked kept warm
1. Place the spinach and dried cranberries in a large bowl. Cover and set aside.
2. Place the lemon juice, honey, 1 T. Olive Oil, and pinch of salt in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking pan with tin foil.
4. Toss the diced butternut squash with 1 T. Olive Oil and 1/2 t. Salt. Spread the squash out evenly on the tin foil lined baking sheet.
5. Roast the squash on the top rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until squash is tender and turning golden brown on top. Remove from oven.
6. While the squash is roasting, place the 1/2 T. Olive Oil in a small saute pan and heat to medium/high. Add the sweet onion and saute for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to saute for another 5-6 minutes, until the onion is lightly caramelized.
7. Add the hot butternut squash, hot onions, warm quinoa and wheat berries to the bowl of spinach and cranberries. Toss together to slightly wilt the spinach. 8. 8. Add the dressing and toss until well coated.
Serve warm & Bon Appetit!