Warm Zucchini and Rice Salad
Why I Love This Recipe
Keeping fit during the summer months is a key concern for many, and eating wholesome meals at home is a great way to stay on track. But finding flavourful recipes that are easy to make can be a challenge. This simple zucchini and rice salad is sure to please the most complex of palates. To say it's easy to make is an understatement.
Ingredients You'll Need
• 4 (125 g each) Minute Rice Cups Ready to Serve Long Grain & Wild Rice – Chicken Flavour
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
• 2 medium zucchini, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
• 1 tsp (5 mL) grainy mustard
• 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
• 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cubed cooked chicken (optional)
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) shelled pistachios
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries
• 1 cup (250 mL) baby spinach
Add cubed, cooked chicken, if desired.
Step 1: Cook rice according to package directions. Let cool completely.
Step 2: Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; sauté zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper for 4 or 5 minutes or until tender-crisp.
Step 3: Whisk together remaining oil, vinegar, mustard and honey until smooth; add to skillet along with rice. Cook, stirring, for 2 or 3 minutes or until rice is heated through. Stir in chicken (if using), pistachios, cranberries and baby spinach. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts. Per 1/4 recipe: Calories 450, Fat 21g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 830mg, Carbohydrate 55g, Fibre 4g, Sugars 10g, Protein 9g
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Low Cholesterol