- Cooking Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Servings: 4 half pint jars
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryI got this recipe from the wife of the man who owns a local fruit stand. She says that she spreads this jelly on a hot biscuit, adds a tiny sprinkle of salt and it tastes like summer.
- 4 cups diced watermelon, seeds picked out (slightly overripe is fine)
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 oz. liquid pectin
- Put watermelon in blender and puree.
- You should wind up with 2 cups of watermelon puree.
- Put puree, sugar and lemon juice in 6 to 8 quart pot, kettle or Dutch oven.
- Bring to a full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down) stirring constantly with a long handled wooden spoon.
- Add pectin all at once, continuing to stir constantly.
- Bring to another full rolling boil; boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Pour into half pint jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, and seal.
- Wipe rims, adjust lids and allow to cool completely in cool dark place free from drafts.