- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is ridiculously easy and in infinitely adaptable to whatever fruit you've got laying around the kitchen.
It's just about the best way to cool off in the summer. And a shot of tequila or rum dropped into one of these makes a great mid-day cocktail.
- 10 cups watermelon, sliced, seeded and chopped into 1" chunks (about 8 lb. melon)
- 3 cups cold water
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine 2 1/2 cups of watermelon and 3/4 cup cold water in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and pour into a pitcher. Repeat three more times with the rest of the watermelon and water.
- Add lime juice and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust sugar one tablespoon at a time if necessary.
- Cover and chill, at least three hours.
- That's it.
- These are basic proportions from a Bon Appetit recipe, but the idea is very malleable.
- Add mint or ginger juice as a twist.
- Or use another type of melon - cantaloupe and basil would be nice. Honeydew and orange.
- Any fruit/herb mix is fine.
- It's a great way to use up fruit that's slightly past its prime.
- Melons are very high in water, so if you're using something else (pears, for instance), you'll need to up the water volume, possible double, possibly more - just play around with it.