- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 10 cups watermelon, sliced, seeded and chopped into 1" chunks (about 8 lb. melon)
- 3 cups cold water
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine 2 1/2 cups of watermelon and 3/4 cup cold water in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and pour into a pitcher. Repeat three more times with the rest of the watermelon and water.
- Add lime juice and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust sugar one tablespoon at a time if necessary.
- Cover and chill, at least three hours.
- That's it.
- These are basic proportions from a Bon Appetit recipe, but the idea is very malleable.
- Add mint or ginger juice as a twist.
- Or use another type of melon - cantaloupe and basil would be nice. Honeydew and orange.
- Any fruit/herb mix is fine.
- It's a great way to use up fruit that's slightly past its prime.
- Melons are very high in water, so if you're using something else (pears, for instance), you'll need to up the water volume, possible double, possibly more - just play around with it.
NotesThis is ridiculously easy and in infinitely adaptable to whatever fruit you've got laying around the kitchen.
It's just about the best way to cool off in the summer. And a shot of tequila or rum dropped into one of these makes a great mid-day cocktail.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More