- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 1 package (0.13 oz) cherry-flavored or other red-colored unsweetened soft drink mix
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 container (12 oz) Betty Crocker® Whipped fluffy white frosting
- Green and red food colors
- 2/3 cup green jelly beans
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease bottoms only of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, egg whites and drink mix with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. (Batter will be lumpy.) Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Pour into pans.
- Bake as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch round pans. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In small bowl, stir 1 cup of the frosting with 10 to 12 drops green food color. Stir 10 to 12 drops red food color into remaining frosting. Frost sides of cakes with green frosting; press green jelly beans into frosting. Frost tops of cakes with red frosting; press remaining 2 tablespoons chocolate chips into frosting for seeds. If desired, cut cakes crosswise in half and arrange "slices" randomly on tray. To serve, cut into wedges. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
NotesSavor the sweetest slice of watermelon you'll ever eat! The chocolate seeds are a melt-in-your-mouth prize. Source_Betty Crocker
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Follow High Altitude cake mix directions on box for two 8- or 9-inch pans, adding the soft drink mix to the dry cake mix. Toss 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 2 teaspoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour before stirring into batter.