- Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 30-45 mins
- 1 - 1.5 lbs of shredded potatoes ( frozen hash browns for those in a rush )
- 1 lrg onion shredded
- 6 oz. cheddar or any hard cheese.
- 1 tblsp butter
- 1 tblsp sour cream or plain yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup of bacon bits or sausage medallions as desired.
- 1/3 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper as desired,..very colorful addition
- 6 large eggs
- use a 12 inch cast iron skillet for best results. An aluminum foil deep dish pie pan will also work.
- pre heat oven to 375
- scramble 6 eggs and sour cream and set aside.
- shred potatoes and 1/2 of the lrg onion and mix together. The onion's acid will stop the potatoes from turning brown ( oxidisation)
- add salt and pepper and garlic to taste.
- shred all of the cheese and set aside.
- chop all other ingredients as you would for topping a pizza and set aside.
- warm the skillet for a minute.
- remove the skillet and coat the bottom and sides with a butter swish.
- layer the shredded potatoes in as you would a pie crust using a fork to form the sides into a deep dish form.
- place the potatoe base in the oven to bake for 7-10 mins until golden brown on top.
- remove the deep dish potatoe base from the oven
- sprinkle a thick layer of cheese on top of the potatoe base. This acts to seal the potatoes from the eggs.
- place the skillet back in the oven briefly to melt the cheese. Remove when melted
- pour the scrambled eggs into the deep dish potatoe base
- layer on top all of the ingredients you would put on your pizza,..bacon, sausage, peppers, onions , mushrooms ,..but save the cheese for last.
- put the entire dish back in the oven for 3-5 mins and then turn the oven off and walk away for 15 mins while the eggs slow cook.
- sprinkle on shredded cheese as desired and broil for 1-2 mins for that crispy cheesy look and taste.
- cool and serve as you would a pizza,.. a breakfast tradition the Camick Family would like to share with the world.
- Wayne Camick
NotesThis is a creation that started out as a cooking lesson for my boys on cold Sat mornings in Canada.
It looks like a Pizza and you can top it off with whatever you like on your pizza,..but it's ,...Not-A-Pizza. It's a breakfast meal that goes like this,..and it can be made as a Vegitarian,..but not vegan,..dish.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More