- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 1/2 cup(s) water, divided
- 1 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long grain-variety
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup(s) red onion(s), chopped, divided
- 1 medium banana pepper, cubanelle or other sweet pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Durkee Ground Cumin Seed, or other brand
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 31 oz canned black beans, two 15.5 oz cans (undrained)
- 1 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped, divided
- 1 medium lime(s), cut into 6 wedges
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil; add rice and cook as package directs.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 cups of onion and all of the pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in beans and their liquid, remaining 1/2 cup of water and salt; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for flavors to blend, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and 1/3 cup of cilantro.
- To serve, spoon beans over rice; sprinkle with 1/4 cup of remaining onion and 1/3 cup of remaining cilantro; squeeze fresh lime juice over top. Yields about 3/4 cup of beans and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More