- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup barley flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chia seed
- 1 tsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- 2 large carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 large apple, peel on, diced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin cups.
- Beat together sugar, orange juice, water, applesauce, and pumpkin until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, seeds and hemp hearts.
- Add the liquid mixture and stir briefly - just to moisten.
- Fold in pecans, carrots and apple. Do not overmix.
- Bake 25 minutes (for regular muffins) or 35 minutes (for jumbo muffins).
- Immediately turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 98.1
- Total Fat: 2.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 77.2 mg
- Total Carbs: 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 2.0 g
NotesMakes about 18 regular or 8-9 jumbo muffins. I filled these with flax seed, chia seed (yes, like the pet), hulled hemp seed, pecans, carrots, pumpkin puree, apples and 4 kinds of whole grain flours: rye, barley, spelt and oats. Also, these are totally vegan and wheat free (but sadly not gluten-free... haven't mastered the GF bake-age yet!).
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 2.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 77.2 mg
Total Carbs: 19.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
Protein: 2.0 g
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Special SmoothiesSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More