WHEAT BERRY SALAD WITH EDAMAME
- Servings: 4-6
- For the wheat berries and edamame
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup dry wheat berries, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- For the salad
- 1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
To prepare the wheat berries and edamame:
Bring water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and wheat berries to a boil in a large saucepan.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the edamame and continue to cook until they are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Drain and rinse.
To prepare the salad:
In a large bowl, add cooked wheat berries, edamame, tomatoes, celery and currants.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and garlic.
Pour over wheat berry mixture and toss to coat.
Sprinkle with parsley.