- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup wheatberries
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup stalk celery, small diced
- 1/4 cup shallots, small diced
- 1/4 cup tart red apple (skin on), small diced
- 3 ounces mixed mushrooms, cut into bite-sized pieces (can include white, cremini, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (approximately 2 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons pinenuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Place the wheatberries in a small saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer until tender (approximately 45 minutes).
- Place the quinoa in a separate small saucepan with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer until tender (approximately 10-12 minutes).
- Combine the cooked wheatberries and quinoa in a bowl and set aside. (Note: The grains can be cooked one day in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.)
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey and 3 tablespoons of canola oil and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a sauté pan on medium high heat. Add the celery, shallots and apples and sauté until tender (5-7 minutes). Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until mushrooms are tender. Add the cooked grains and toss all together well to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss lightly with the apple cider honey mixture, gorgonzola, pinenuts and fresh thyme.
- Hint: If you cut up the apples more than a few minutes in advance of cooking, store them in lemon water to prevent browning.
NotesI found this recipe on the Whole Foods website and can't wait to try this!
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
C'mon a my house! (Metric and American measurements for most recipes)See More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More