- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1/2 - 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp nonfat dry milk (optional, but great for texture)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 5 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Whisk together yeast and water.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat milk to just above body temperature, stir in salt, honey, and milk powder and let cool to lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl (I use my stand mixer) whisk together flour, gluten and flaxseed.
- Pour in yeast mixture and milk mixture and beat until a fairly smooth dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes, until elastic.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F, grease a 1 1/2 Lb loaf pan.
- Punch down dough, shape into a loaf and place into the pan, tucking ends under.
- Cover and let rise again for 1 hour.
- Brush the top of the loaf with milk, bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
NotesExtremely healthful, 100% whole grain bread with a great rise and texture. Use soy milk and soy milk powder if you do not drink milk, and agave nectar for the honey if you are vegan. Sometimes I add sesame or hemp seeds to the top of the loaf or dust it with flour for a decorative flare. For a sweeter bread, up the honey content to 1/3 cup and drop the water content to 1/2 cup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More