- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 Cup Shortening (like Crisco - not butter flavored, it must be white)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 12/ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 egg whites (large or jumbo eggs)
- Oven = 365 for layer cake - 325 for loaf cake
- Lightly grease pan(s), line bottom with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Cream shortening, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- Beat till well integrated and smooth.
- Beat egg whites to soft peak.
- Gently fold into batter.
- Turn batter into pans.
- Bake layers for about 25-30 minutes.
- Bake loaf cake for about 40-45 minutes
NotesA recipe I've had for years...I think it's from 8th grade cooking class...maybe.
I've adjusted the sugar and vanilla for a better flavor.
This is great with coconut icing.
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat Necessary
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More