- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 Cup Shortening (like Crisco - not butter flavored, it must be white)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 12/ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 egg whites (large or jumbo eggs)
- Oven = 365 for layer cake - 325 for loaf cake
- Lightly grease pan(s), line bottom with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Cream shortening, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- Beat till well integrated and smooth.
- Beat egg whites to soft peak.
- Gently fold into batter.
- Turn batter into pans.
- Bake layers for about 25-30 minutes.
- Bake loaf cake for about 40-45 minutes
NotesA recipe I've had for years...I think it's from 8th grade cooking class...maybe.
I've adjusted the sugar and vanilla for a better flavor.
This is great with coconut icing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More