- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI made this one night while trying to figure out how to make a meal using the few ingredients I had in the kitchen - a couple chicken breasts, 1/2 a pkg. of sausage and some cheeses. I didn't have red sauce or ricotta or cottage cheese on hand so to give the dish some extra creaminess, I added canned soup to the meat mixture. Also, I was afraid the chicken and pork sausage would be a bit bland on it's own so I added crushed red pepper flakes to it and the end result was actually quite good! No one had a clue that this was one of those recipes that fell into the category of "necessity breeds invention"!
- 12 Lasagne noodles - cooked
- 4 boneless chicken breasts - poached and shredded
- 1/2 lb. pork sausage OR 3 hot sausage links with casings removed
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes if using plain pork sausage
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 onion - diced
- 1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 1/2 soup can of milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- s&p to taste
- 3 cups shredded mozz. cheese
- 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage in a skillet with garlic, pepper flakes (if using them) and onion. When sausage is no longer pink stir in can of soup with milk (already combined in a seperate bowl). Stir in shredded, cooked chicken and remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour and salt and pepper and stir for one minute. Whisk in 2 cups of milk and bring to a simmer. Cook over heat until thickened - about 5 minutes.
- *preheat oven to 350
- To assemble lasagne:
- In a greased casserole dish, layer lasagne noodles, 1/2 the chicken and sausage mixture, 1/3 mozz. cheese, 1/3 parmesan cheese and 1/2 of the white sauce. Next layer - lasagne noodles, remainder of the meat sauce, 1/3 of the mozz. and parmesan cheese. Last layer - lasagne noodles, rest of the white sauce and the remainder of the cheeses. Bake uncovered until lasagne is hot and bubbley and the top is golden brown - about 45 minutes.