- Cooking Time: 4 hours
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time: 20 min plus bean soaking
- 16 oz. dried white beans
- at least 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chopped onions (I like Vidalia onions)
- 2 4-oz. cans green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 6 cups chopped chicken breast
- 3 cups grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- garnish: sour cream, cilantro, chopped green onion, tortilla chips, whatever
- Soak beans according to package directions.
- Drain beans; put in large pot with 6 cups chicken broth, garlic and onions.
- Simmer 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in green chilies,cumin, oregano, cloves and pepper.
- Add chicken and simmer another hour.
- Add more chicken broth if needed.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with a handful of grated cheese.
- Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, chopped green onion or whatever you want!
NotesI like this even better than traditional red chili. It's every bit as spicy and warming.