1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
1tsp. chili powder
1tsp. cracked black pepper
1tsp. ground coriander
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
5 cans Great Northern Beans
5 cans chicken broth
2 cans chopped green chilies
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 to 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup grated Monterey Jack Cheese
1. saute onions, celery and garlic in oil with cumin,chili powder, black pepper,coriander,cloves and cayenne pepper.
2. add beans with liquid and 4 cans of chicken broth, choppped green chilies ,salt and oregano.
3. bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
4. poach chicken in remaining can of broth, then chop chiken and add to soup with broth,
5. Simmer soup 30 to 40 min.
6.Serve with bowls topped with Montery Jack Cheese
Pairs Well With
I worked in a cardiac intensive care unit and one of the nurse clinicians, Barbara Loveline, was a gourmet cook and she gave this recipe to me. I think the seasonings are what make it so good.