- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryCake recipe is from Cake mix Doctor book: Ebony and Ivory cake, varied to make 3 layers instead of 2.
Filling recipe is from Betty Crocker's Best of Baking: Black Forest Cherry Torte.
- shortening, for greasing pans
- flour, for dusting pans
- 6 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1 package white cake mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cans dark sweet cherries
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 3 9" cake pans. Set aside. Place mixing bowl and beaters in freezer for later use in making frosting. Melt white chocolate over double boiler. Place cake mix, water, oil, eggs and egg whites in mixer bowl. Pour in slightly cooled white chocolate. Blend on low for 1 minute. Scrape down bowl and beat for 2 mins more. Batter should look well blended. Divide evenly among prepared pans. Bake until cakes are golden brown and spring back when touched, about 25 mins. Remove from oven and place on racks to cool for 10 mins. Invert onto racks to cool completely.
- For Filling: Mix cornstarch and sugar in 2 quart saucepan. Drain cherries, reserving syrup. Add enough water to reserved cherry juice to make 2 cups. Stir into sugar-cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil 1 minute. Cool to lukewarm. If desired, dip some cherries into sauce and reserve for garnish. Chop remaining cherries and stir into syrup. Spread generous amount between cake layers, place in refrigerator to chill for 20 mins.
- Frosting: Using chilled bowl and beaters, whip cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Add cherry filling to desired color/texture. Reserve remaining syrup for another use. Frost cake, garnish with reserved whole dipped cherries and white chocolate curls if desired.
- Servings: 16