- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes per Batch
- Servings: 40-60 depending on size
- Preparation Time: 40 Minues
- 1/2 Cup Maraschino Cherries (drained & finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Cold Butter
- 12 Ounces White Chocolate-Baking Squares or Chips (Finely Chopped)
- Seperate out 2/3 Cup chopped Chocolate for the for the cookie dough
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Shortening
- White Nonpariels and / or Red Edible Glitter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Spread Cherries on paper towels to drain well
- The original recipe called for baking squares, however I have substituted white chocolate chips and chop them in my food processor.
- Cut Butter into small pieces
- Place Sugar into mixing bowl
- Using a pastry blender, slowly add the Butter until the mixture begins to resemble fine crumbs.
- Stir in drained cherries and 2/3 Cup of Chocolate
- Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball
- Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls
- Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet
- Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten each cookie (each cookie will now be about 1 1/2 inches around)
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the centers are set.
- Cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely
- In a small saucepan combine the remaining White Chocolate and Liquid Shortening.
- Cook over low heat until melted.
- Note: I personally place the White Chocolate and the Shortening in a bowl and place in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take out, stir and repeat until the White Chocolate is melted.
- Dip half of each cookie into the Chocolate, letting the excess drip off.
- If desired, dip or sprinkle the chocolate edge into nonpareils and/or edible glitter.
- Place the cookies on waxed paper until the Chocolate is set.
- Note: These cookies store at room temperature for about 3 days but freeze well for up to 3 months. I normally bake my in November for Christmas and then take them out the week before Christmas to decorate.
NotesI found this recipe on Better Homes & Gardens website a few years ago when searching for a new cookie recipe. It instantly became a fan favorite! Buttery shortbread with maraschino cherries, baked and then dipped in white chocolate...they look like you bought them at a bakery!
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Forever FOMO Cures: Photo & Cookbook from your Israeli Family
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More