- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes per Batch
- Servings: 40-60 depending on size
- Preparation Time: 40 Minues
- 1/2 Cup Maraschino Cherries (drained & finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Cold Butter
- 12 Ounces White Chocolate-Baking Squares or Chips (Finely Chopped)
- Seperate out 2/3 Cup chopped Chocolate for the for the cookie dough
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Shortening
- White Nonpariels and / or Red Edible Glitter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Spread Cherries on paper towels to drain well
- The original recipe called for baking squares, however I have substituted white chocolate chips and chop them in my food processor.
- Cut Butter into small pieces
- Place Sugar into mixing bowl
- Using a pastry blender, slowly add the Butter until the mixture begins to resemble fine crumbs.
- Stir in drained cherries and 2/3 Cup of Chocolate
- Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball
- Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls
- Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet
- Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten each cookie (each cookie will now be about 1 1/2 inches around)
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the centers are set.
- Cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely
- In a small saucepan combine the remaining White Chocolate and Liquid Shortening.
- Cook over low heat until melted.
- Note: I personally place the White Chocolate and the Shortening in a bowl and place in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take out, stir and repeat until the White Chocolate is melted.
- Dip half of each cookie into the Chocolate, letting the excess drip off.
- If desired, dip or sprinkle the chocolate edge into nonpareils and/or edible glitter.
- Place the cookies on waxed paper until the Chocolate is set.
- Note: These cookies store at room temperature for about 3 days but freeze well for up to 3 months. I normally bake my in November for Christmas and then take them out the week before Christmas to decorate.
NotesI found this recipe on Better Homes & Gardens website a few years ago when searching for a new cookie recipe. It instantly became a fan favorite! Buttery shortbread with maraschino cherries, baked and then dipped in white chocolate...they look like you bought them at a bakery!
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
The NourishFull KitchenSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More