White Chocolate Raspberry Coconut Cake
Why I Love This Recipe
I made this cake just before Christmas 2012. I was looking for a coconut cake, and came across a few ideas online. Most of these were using boxed cake mix, so I put together this cake from those ideas using my own layer cake mix.
This is one tasty cake! My family absolutely loved it over the Christmas holiday. The white chocolate and fresh raspberries make it simply delightful, and toasted coconut bar far is one of my personal favorites!
Ingredients You'll Need
FOR WHITE CAKE
2 cups All purpose flour
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup Unsalted butter; sorftened
1 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
6 large eggs; whites only
3/4 cup 2% Milk
1 cup Coconut; flaked
FOR THE FILLING
3/4 cup Raspberry Jam; seedless
1 cup Coconut; flaked
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
8 ounces White chocolate; bakers
1/3 cup Heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 cup butter; softened
1 1/4 cup Confectioners Sugar
1 package Raspberries; fresh
1. TO MAKE THE CAKE LAYERS
2. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, mixing well
4. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until very soft and light. Beat in the vanilla.
5. Whisk together the egg whites and milk by hand in a medium mixing bowl until just combined.
6. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in one-quarter of the flour mixture, then one-third of the milk mixture, stopping and scraping down the bowl and beater after each addition. Beat in another quarter of the flour, then another third of the milk mixture. Scrape again. Repeat with another quarter of the flour and the remaining milk mixture; scrape. Finally, beat in the remaining flour mixture.
7. Fold in flaked coconut, mixture will appear a bit lumpy, that is ok!
8. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
9. CAKE CONSTRUCTION
10. In a microwave, melt white chocolate and cream for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.Cool to room temperature.
11. In a small bowl, combine jam and 1 cup coconut.
12. Once cake layers are cooled, trim, then spread filling over bottom layer. Place the second layer on top and let rest while preparing frosting.
13. In a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth. gradually beat in white chocolate mixture. Spread over top and sides of cake. If frosting is still too warm, let cool in the fridge.
14. Toast the remaining coconut and press over top and sides of cake, make sure you let the toasted coconut cool before trying to press into the chocolate or the heat will make the chocolate run.
15. Decorate with fresh raspberry and slice away! You will love this cake!