- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs white raisins
- 1 LB crystallized pineapple
- ½ LB crystallized red cherries
- 1 LB shelled almonds
- 1 LB (2 cups) sugar
- 1 LB (over 3 cups) flour
- 1 LB butter
- 10 eggs
- ¼ LB shelled pecans
- 1 fresh coconut (grated or ground
- 1 wine glass white wine or fruit juice
- Cut all fruits the night before making and mix together.
- Separate eggs and beat egg yolks until golden.
- Stir in sugar gradually and beat well.
- Flour fruit well with some of the flour to keep from sinking to bottom of pan.
- Cream butter and flour together gradually until smooth.
- Then mix with egg and sugar mixture.
- Beat egg whites well and add to fruit gradually.
- Add wine and mix thoroughly.
- Line pan with heavy brown paper.
- Have pan well greased.
- Bake in a very low oven (250°F) for eight hours.
- If you divide mixture into smaller pans it takes less time.
- Test with wire cake tester.
- If batter sticks to wire it is not done.
NotesMy Mother has made this every Christmas holiday season. It's more like a decadent, fruity poundcake and may convert those who don't usually like fruitcake.
A lot of work - but so very good!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More