- Cooking Time: 180
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI never liked fruit cake that much so my mom would whip up one of these and I loved it! This cake will change your mind about fruit cake and it's such a wonderful gift idea for anyone you know. What a special treat to make one of these cakes and give it to someone you love for the holidays or any occasion. Why wait until Christmas?
- 2 c. sugar
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 T. lemon extract
- 4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 c. pecans, cut coarsely
- 1 lb. candied cherries, quartered
- 1 lb. candied pineapple, cut up
- 1/2 c. extra flour, to dredge fruit and nuts
- 1 c. butter, softened
- Cream butter and sugar well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and lemon extract. Sift flour and salt together and add to mixture. Add fruits and nuts dredged in the extra flour. Press batter into a well greased, lined with waxed paper, and re-greased tube pan. Bake at 225 degrees for 3 hours. Make sure you put a pan of water in the oven on the rack below the cake. Cool thoroughly before removing from the pan and peeling off the waxed paper. Wrap in foil. You should refrigerate for 2 to 3 weeks before serving. Freezes beautifully. I like to make a glaze made from orange juice, powdered sugar, orange zest and dark rum to pour over the cake once a week until ready to serve. I make this cake the day after Thanksgiving and it's usually wonderful for Christmas...