- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
Backstory(Made With Pie Filling & Sour Cream) I'm still telling my friends about the cherry-almond coffee cake from the White Rose Inn in Emporia, Kansas. I had it for breakfast in the morning, then requested it again with my tea the same afternoon. Virginia Doser,Corona Del Mar, California
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 21-ounce can cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced almonds (about 2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until light. Add eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract and beat well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Mix half of dry ingredients into butter mixture. Mix in sour cream, then remaining dry ingredients.
- Pour 2/3 of batter (about 2 cups) into prepared pan. Drop pie filling by tablespoons evenly over batter. Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls over pie filling. Using back of spoon, carefully spread batter over filling. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 5 minutes. Cool in pan on rack. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.) Cover with foil and store at room temperature.) Cut around sides of pan. Remove pan.