- Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
- Servings: 1 loaf
- Preparation Time: 3 1/2 hours
BackstoryEverybody need a good recipe for both white and wheat sandwich bread. White sandwich bread is the most basic type of yeasted bread, wheat sandwich bread being the next step up. If you have mastered baking soda/baking powder breads and are ready to move to yeasted breads, white sandwich bread is a good start. A good baker should have a white sandwich bread mastered.
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 3 teaspoons sugar.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- butter or olive oil for coating bowl
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour yeast over 1/2 of the warm water.
- Add sugar and stir.
- Allow yeast to bloom for five minutes.
- Blend together the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture and the rest of the water to the flour mixture.
- Mix dough roughly with your hands until dough forms into a ball.
- Add more flour if the dough is too wet. Add more water if the dough is too dry.
- Move dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes
- Oil or butter a bowl and roll dough in it to coat the dough evenly.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- After dough has risen, punch the dough down.
- Transfer to floured work surface and knead again for 3 minutes.
- Shape into loaf and place in loaf pan.
- Let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.