- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
Blogged at howtoeatacupcake.blogspot.com
The recipe for Yeti Cupcakes is from Cupcakes Galore by Gail Wagman.
The recipe for Marshmallow Frosting is from Cupcakes by Shelly Kaldunski.
MY NOTES: I got 16 cupcakes. I forgot the marshmallows, so my result will be different from yours if you have an elephant's memory. The Snow Frosting worked until I added the coconut, so don't be afraid of the recipe. It flopped because of my mistakes. In the Marshmallow Frosting, it took closed to 4 minutes for the marshmallows to melt completely.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking power
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch for the egg whites
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can replace with another flavoring if you prefer: lemon, almond extract, etc.)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup mini-marshmallows
- SNOW FROSTING
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Sweetened shredded coconut for decoration
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- 3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, ending with milk, and beat until batter is smooth. Add flavoring.
- 4. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry. Gently fold into batter. Fold in mini-marshmallows.
- 5. Spoon batter into cupcake papers, filling cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
- 6. To make the frosting: in a large bowl, preferably the top of a double boiler, mix egg whites, sugar, corn syrup, and salt until combined. Place the bowl over simmering water and whisk until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is hot. This will take about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and beat for 5-7 minutes until frosting is cool and stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla and delicately fold in the coconut by hand, if desired. The frosting will be ready to spread. Decorate frosted cupcakes to your taste.
- Marshmallow Frosting
- MAKES 5 CUPS
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large, clean heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, cream of tartar, and salt. Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch (about 160°F on an instant-read thermometer), about 3 minutes. Remove the bowl from the saucepan. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the mixture until it is very warm and soft (but not dry) peaks form, about 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer to low and add the marshmallows and vanilla. Continue beating until the marshmallows are melted and the frosting is completely smooth, about 2 minutes more. Use right away.