- Cooking Time: 3-5 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups fresh ground whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- In a large mixer, combine all ingredients. Mix until soft dough forms. Replace mixing paddle with dough hook. Kneed about 5 minutes low speed setting. The dough should still be very soft and sticky, but should form a single mass.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl and place on a well floured surface--sprinkle top of ball lightly with flour. With floured hands, kneed to form pillow like ball. Let rest 20 minutes.
- Use Pasta Rollers (either as a mixer attachment or the standalone variety) to form thick, wide, flat noodles.
- Boil immediately (they cook very quickly) or make loose pasta "flowers" and freeze in separate bunches on a cookie sheet. When frozen solid, remove from cookie sheet and transfer to large freezer bag. Store in freezer--thawing not necessary prior to cooking.
- Keys to success: kneed and rest the dough for the entire recommended amount of time. use plenty of flour when rolling and cutting--this dough can be sticky.
- estimated nutrition information for 6 generous sized or 8 regular sized servings:
- calories: 320 / 240
- fat (grams): 5 / 4
- saturated fat (grams): 1 / less than 1 gram
- carbohydrates (grams): 53 / 40
- fiber (grams): 6 / 4
- sugar: less than 1 gram
- protein (grams): 15 / 11
- cholesterol (mg): 180 / 135
- calcium (mg): 18 / 14
- potassium (mg): 195 / 147
- sodium (mg): 60 / 45*
- *not including salt in cooking water.
NotesI've been increasing protein (and calories) for muscle gain. Whole wheat has more protein (and more fiber) than the refined flours that are used in pasta so it's a logical replacement. I really don't enjoy store-bought whole wheat or whole grain pastas so I came up with this recipe as a tasty alternative.
Whole wheat flour makes a very heavy, dense dough so the eggs are substantially increased in comparison to a traditional pasta recipe. Just replacing the white flour for wheat flour in a traditional recipe would cause the dough to be impossible to handle.