- Cooking Time: 3-5 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 40 minutes
BackstoryI've been increasing protein (and calories) for muscle gain. Whole wheat has more protein (and more fiber) than the refined flours that are used in pasta so it's a logical replacement. I really don't enjoy store-bought whole wheat or whole grain pastas so I came up with this recipe as a tasty alternative.
Whole wheat flour makes a very heavy, dense dough so the eggs are substantially increased in comparison to a traditional pasta recipe. Just replacing the white flour for wheat flour in a traditional recipe would cause the dough to be impossible to handle.
- 2 cups fresh ground whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- In a large mixer, combine all ingredients. Mix until soft dough forms. Replace mixing paddle with dough hook. Kneed about 5 minutes low speed setting. The dough should still be very soft and sticky, but should form a single mass.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl and place on a well floured surface--sprinkle top of ball lightly with flour. With floured hands, kneed to form pillow like ball. Let rest 20 minutes.
- Use Pasta Rollers (either as a mixer attachment or the standalone variety) to form thick, wide, flat noodles.
- Boil immediately (they cook very quickly) or make loose pasta "flowers" and freeze in separate bunches on a cookie sheet. When frozen solid, remove from cookie sheet and transfer to large freezer bag. Store in freezer--thawing not necessary prior to cooking.
- Keys to success: kneed and rest the dough for the entire recommended amount of time. use plenty of flour when rolling and cutting--this dough can be sticky.
- estimated nutrition information for 6 generous sized or 8 regular sized servings:
- calories: 320 / 240
- fat (grams): 5 / 4
- saturated fat (grams): 1 / less than 1 gram
- carbohydrates (grams): 53 / 40
- fiber (grams): 6 / 4
- sugar: less than 1 gram
- protein (grams): 15 / 11
- cholesterol (mg): 180 / 135
- calcium (mg): 18 / 14
- potassium (mg): 195 / 147
- sodium (mg): 60 / 45*
- *not including salt in cooking water.