Whole Wheat Alfredo Baked Ziti With Turkey Sausage and Cherry Tomatoes
½ Package (6.75oz) Whole Grain Penne Pasta
1 Pound Cook and Chopped into tiny pieces Turkey Sausage
½ Cup Part Skim Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
3 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Low Fat Milk
¾ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
¼ tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Parsley (dried)
1 Tbsp Basil
¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cook the pasta al dente in a large saucepan according to label instructions. Drain. Return pasta back to saucepan and set aside.
3. Cook turkey sausage (I used my George Forman) and chop into small squares. Set aside.
4. Cook Alfredo sauce (see directions below).
5. Add cooked and chopped turkey sausage and the Alfredo sauce to the sauce pan with pasta. Gently toss to combine until the pasta is evenly coated.
6. Layer half of the pasta into a lightly sprayed with olive oil baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with ½ of mozzarella cheese. Layer the remaining half of the pasta evenly on top. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 of mozzarella cheese. *If desired sprinkle with additional basil and parsley.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and is light golden brown.
Alfredo Sauce Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Slowly add whole wheat pasta and whisk.
2. Slowly add milk, whisking to combine until smooth and bring to simmer.
3. Slowly add in Parmesan cheese continuously mixing until melts into an even sauce. Wisk until thickens.
4. Stir in black pepper, parsley, basil and red pepper flakes.