- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, chopped and very cold
- 5 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c. grated carrot
- 1 tsp minced candied ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and stir well to combine.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles very coarse sand. Add the buttermilk and vanilla, stir to combine.
- Add carrot and ginger and stir to distribute well.
- Roll the dough into a ball and then press gently into a disc about an inch thick. Place the disc of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cut the dough disk into six wedges.
- Separate the wedges so there is at least an inch between each of them. Brush the tops and sides with 1 tbsp buttermilk (total for all) and sprinkle generously with the coarse sugar.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, until lightly browned.
NotesThis recipe is modified from Baking Sheet's Buttermilk Scones
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More