- Cooking Time: 14-16 minutes
- Servings: 8 - 10
- Preparation Time: 5 mins
BackstoryThese biscuits are quick and easy. I found them to be light and fluffy with a little tang and nuttiness and a hint of honey sweet
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes. Plus more for the skillet
- 4 TB crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 TB honey
- With the rack in the upper 1/3 portion of your oven, preheat to 400'. You will want to place a 10" cast iron skillet on the rack so that it too can be preheated.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using the tips of your fingers, quickly incorporate the chilled butter cubes and crumbled goat cheese into the flour mixture until you have what resembles coarse meal. You might still have some bits of the butter and cheese that are the size of small pebbles and / or oak flakes. That's to be expected.
- Make a well in the middle of your flour mixture. Whisk together the buttermilk and honey and pour into the "well". Using a fork, combine the flour and buttermilk mixture until all of the flour is incorporated. Set aside.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and plop a tablespoon of butter in there to melt. Rotate the pan around so that the entire bottom and sides are covered with butter
- Spoon the batter, by a "drop" full (about 1/4 cups worth) into the hot skillet, leaving about an inch between each biscuit. 6 will fit in there comfortably.
- Bake for about 14 - 16 minutes or until golden brown and the tops look dry and a little firm. Let rest for 5 minutes.