- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups warm (110'F) water
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 5 cups oil
- Lavender Mint Syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender
- 12 sprigs of mint
- Lavender Mint Syrup:
- Combine water, sugar, lavender and mint in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat and continue stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat. If you want a mild mint flavor, carefully remove the mint at this time. For a stronger mint flavor, allow mint to steep in the syrup longer. Allow mixture to steep for about 30 minutes.
- Strain lavender blossoms from the syrup and allow syrup to cool
- Cover and continue cooling in the fridge.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm (110'F) water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours, sugar and salt.
- Add the yeast water a bit at a time and mix well. Continue mixing until the batter is very smooth.
- Cover the bowl and allow to rest until the dough has doubled in size, about 3 or 4 hours.
- When dough has doubled in size, heat the oil in a heavy duty saucepan.
- Beat the batter to release all the bubbles.
- Working in batches, with a teaspoon to scoop up some dough, careful slide a "ball" of dough into the hot oil. It will quickly sink to the bottom, then return to the top.
- Allow the dough to brown, flip with a slotted spoon and continue to brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, allowing the excess oil to drip off and place ball in chilled syrup.
- Coat the balls with the syrup and remove to a separate plate.
- Serve immediately
NotesI was looking for a recipe to enter into a contest and came across Awwamaat. They were simple with no flavor other than sugar so I added some herbs and lemon and used whole wheat in the dough for a bit of a healthier version.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Short & Sweet
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Carrot cupcakes or muffensSee More