WHOLE WHEAT LINGUINE WITH GREEN PEA PESTO-VEGAN
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound whole wheat linguine
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed green peas
- 1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 1 bunch parsley)
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves, or a combination of basil and mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brined capers, drained
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut pieces, toasted
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add linguine and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain linguine and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, put peas, parsley, basil, lemon juice and capers into a food processor and pulse to make a coarse paste. With the motor running, add oil in a steady stream. Season pesto with salt and pepper.
- Toss hot linguine with reserved 1/2 cup cooking water and pesto. Top with walnuts and serve immediately.
NotesIn this dish, a vibrantly colored pesto made from peas and fresh herbs dresses up whole wheat pasta. Try the pesto as a spread on sandwiches and crostini, too.
Per serving (About 5oz/139g-wt.): 280 calories (160 from fat), 18g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 8g protein, 26g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Puff Daddy Pancake
Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Streusel Pie
Tossed Salad With Oil And Vinegar DressingSee More