- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 lb. fresh kale, washed and chopped or 1/2 lb. frozen chopped kale, defrosted and drained well
- 8 oz whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 oz whole milk
- 6 oz freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 2 oz. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot sauce, to taste (yes, even babies may like it hot!)
- Salt and pepper
- If using fresh kale, bring 3 cups water to a boil in a pot. If using frozen kale, skip to step 4!
- Add kale and boil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Boil the pasta in a large pot according to package directions, but reduce the cooking time by a few minutes. You'll want it almost al dente.
- Drain pasta and pour back into the cooking pot.
- Over medium-low heat, add the butter and stir until melted.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg, milk, and spices and pour over the pasta.
- Stir until it begins to thicken, about three to five minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese a bit at a time, stirring well and allowing cheese to melt before adding more.
- Stir in kale and serve warm.
NotesWho doesn't love macaroni and cheese? I couldn't wait to introduce it to Jude because it is my hands down favorite comfort food. I had to kick up the nutrient quota here by adding the super veg kale and swapping whole wheat pasta in for the usual elbows. It's delicious and nutritious, and don't be afraid to spice it up a bit! Your baby's taste buds will thank you!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More