- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 min.
- For compote: 5 Macintosh apples, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbls. butter
- For pancakes: 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 1 Tbls. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (for serving)
- Prepare compote:
- In a medium sauce pan, bring apples, juices, and sugar to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- As the apples begin to soften, use a spoon to break them apart if needed. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, cherries, and butter and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Continue cooking and stirring for 20 more minutes or until thickened.
- This can be made a few days in advance and will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for a fw weeks. Just warm it up before serving.
- For the pancakes: In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, ricotta, yogurt, and half of the buttermilk.
- In a third bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Blend dry ingredients into ricotta mixture until just combined.
- Gently fold egg whites into ricotta mixture.
- If the batter is very thick, you may thin it with a little of the reserved buttermilk, just fold it in carefully so as not to deflate the egg whites.
- Spoon batter onto a hot, greased griddle. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve with compote and chopped pecans.
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Simple Homemade Favorites
Vegan Glass Jar GoodiesSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More