- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 min.
- For compote: 5 Macintosh apples, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbls. butter
- For pancakes: 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 1 Tbls. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (for serving)
- Prepare compote:
- In a medium sauce pan, bring apples, juices, and sugar to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- As the apples begin to soften, use a spoon to break them apart if needed. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, cherries, and butter and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Continue cooking and stirring for 20 more minutes or until thickened.
- This can be made a few days in advance and will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for a fw weeks. Just warm it up before serving.
- For the pancakes: In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, ricotta, yogurt, and half of the buttermilk.
- In a third bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Blend dry ingredients into ricotta mixture until just combined.
- Gently fold egg whites into ricotta mixture.
- If the batter is very thick, you may thin it with a little of the reserved buttermilk, just fold it in carefully so as not to deflate the egg whites.
- Spoon batter onto a hot, greased griddle. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve with compote and chopped pecans.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More