WHOLE-WHEAT ORANGE BEET MUFFINS
Whole-wheat Orange Beet Muffins
- Cooking Time: 18 - 24
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped, dried apricots
- 1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup beet puree*
- 1 T. canola oil
- 3 T. orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup demerara natural unrefined sugar (substitute brown sugar if you don't have this)
Preheat oven to 400.
For the topping: combine the pecans and demerara sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the apricots and coconut, tossing to coat with the flour mixture.
In another bowl, combine the egg, yogurt, beet puree, oil and orange juice concentrate. Add to the flour mixture and mix on low speed just until combined.
Scoop the batter into 12 standard muffin cups that have been coated with cooking spray and/or lined with paper liners Sprinkle each muffin with the pecan and demerara sugar mixture.
Bake in a preheated oven for 18 - 24 minutes or until the tops spring back when gently touched. Allow to cool on a wire rack for approximately 5 minutes, then remove from the muffin pan and finish cooling completely.
* I used canned beets that I drained and pureed in a food processor until smooth. You may have to add a little water, or the reserved liquid from the can to achieve a really smooth consistency. One 15 oz. can of whole beets made just under 1 cup of puree. What you don't use in this recipe can be frozen for later use, or added to pancake batter.