- Cooking Time: 8-10 minutes
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour - sifted
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons clear vanilla
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups shortening
- Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs and beat. Add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Add to mixture alternating with hot water.
- Drop by the spoonful on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Make sure they are done, if not they will be too flat. They are supposed to be fluffy.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add vanilla. Then add the flour, milk and 2 cups of the powdered sugar. Beat to cream. Add remaining sugar and shortening a little at a time. Beat till smooth and fluffy.
- To make cookies: sandwich filling between two chocolate cookies of equal size.
NotesDarcie: When you eat these you will say "whoopie" because they are so good, thus the name!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More