- Cooking Time: 300
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 wild hog shoulder, appx 5 pounds
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbso hot chili pepper puree (found in the freezer section)
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Rotel
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato vegetable juice (spicy V-8)
- In a large heavy roasting pan, add meat and 1/2 cup water.
- Add salt, Italian seasoning, pepper puree, rotel.
- Cover with foil.
- Roast in a 300 degree oven for atleast 3 hours.
- Remove meat from pan juices and cool.
- Debone meat, discard bones, and place meat in bowl and place in frig.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and vegetable juice to pan juices in pan, cover and return to oven, up the temp to 375 degrees.
- Cook for 1 hour or til tender.
- Remove roasting pan from oven.
- Add onion, tomato paste, brown sugar, corn, green beans, lima beans, and okra to roasting pan.
- Stir in meat.
- Cover and return to oven for 1 more hour.
NotesMy husband had way to many hogs tearing up the land, so he caught them and I had to come up with several recipes. A tip to help tame any wild taste is to use small hogs, not old boars and for 24-48 hours let your meat set in ice chest completley covered with ice. Make sure and watch your ice, making sure it stays full of ice and that you are draining the water.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More