- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup peanut oil
- 1 large onion -- chopped
- 1 large garlic clove -- minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 7 cups vegetable or Chicken Stock -- kept simmering
- = (see recipe for Chicken Stock)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound wild mushrooms, such as shiitake,
- cremini, oyster, or portabello -- stems reserved for
- making stock
- 1 medium tomato -- peeled, seeded,
- and chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter -- chilled, and
- cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Salt -- to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, heat the peanut oil. Over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic just to soften, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rice and continue to stir, using a wooden spoon, coating the rice with the oil and onion.
- Deglaze with the white wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Pour in enough hot vegetable or Chicken Stock to cover, about 3 cups, and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. If the mushrooms are large, cut them into bite-size pieces and sauté over medium-high heat just to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour 3 cups of hot vegetable or chicken stock into the rice, turn the flame to high, and stir in the tomatoes. Stir until almost al dente. Stir in the mushrooms and the remaining 1 cup stock, as necessary. Remember, the risotto should be creamy, not runny. Remove from the flame and vigorously beat in the chilled butter and the Parmesan cheese until completely dissolved. Stir in the parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide among 4 heated plates and serve immediately. Pass around the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese for your guests to use as desired.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: Making risotto requires your full attention. Though the rice can be partially cooked in advance and cooled, the finishing process is so precise that the risotto cannot wait for your guests, but rather your guests have to wait for the risotto.
Notes791 Calories; 43g Fat (51.5% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 79g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 39mg Cholesterol; 211mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain(Starch) ; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 8 Fat.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More